Espiritu Santo Island Expedition
Cabo Expeditions brings you the exciting Espiritu Santo Island Expedition. This day trip is packed with treats for nature lovers, old and young. We will pick you up at your hotel in our chauffeur-driven, air-conditioned van. From the modern port of Cabo San Lucas, you’ll drive north up the coast to the low-key city of La Paz. Your guide will fascinate you with the historical background of Baja and Espiritu Santo Island. Group size is kept small to make this tour personal and your day comfortable. You will stop along the way for a typical Mexican breakfast before continuing. Once in La Paz, your guide will take the group on a short boat ride across the bay to Espiritu Santo Island, where your eco-adventure begins.
Of the nearly 1,000 islands scattered all the Sea of Cortez, Isla Espiritu Santo (Holy Spirit Island) is by far the jewel of them all. It is only 31 square miles in area, with twelve protected bays. Yet it’s home to numerous endemic flora and fauna. You’ll find out why the black jackrabbit and wild fig are unique and important. UNESCO designated Espiritu Santo and some 200 other islands a Biosphere and World Heritage Site for its biodiversity and stunning natural scenery. Surrounded by the turquoise blue of the Sea of Cortez, this protected area is home to coral reefs, colonies of sea lions, dolphins, whales and over 800 species of fish. The waters actually are home to 39% of the world’s fish species.
Your experienced guide will lead you on an adventure of a lifetime. You’ll snorkel and swim with sea lions in their colony at Los Islotes – we provide all the gear and instruction. You can join the 300 resident sea lions as they swim, play and dart around. Don’t forget your waterproof camera!
On a nature hike, your guide will relate the inspiring story of how the island became a protected reserve. It was actually privately owned until a coalition of leaders persuaded the government to purchase it in 2003. It was the first such conservation purchase for the Mexican government. Take in some of the sights: 2,000-foot-high mountains, sheer rock dropping off into the water, and white sandy beaches dotting the coast. See why Espiritu Santo is one of Baja´s and La Paz´s most amazing attractions. You’ll never forget its riches and untouched beauty.
Enjoy a traditional Mexican lunch out on the beach as you relax, snorkel or just take in the scenery. We will drop you back at your hotel at the end of the day.
- Season: April to September
- Duration: Full-Day
- Highly qualified, bilingual guides.
- Breakfast, lunch and soft drinks.
- Snorkelling gear.
- Round-trip transportation from your hotel if you’re staying in Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo or along the Tourist Corridor. You’ll receive your pick-up time as part of your confirmation within 24 hours of your booking.
- Minimum age: 8 years old. Anyone under 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- For their own safety, pregnant women and people with heart, back or neck problems, as well as those with osteoporosis won’t be allowed to participate in this activity.
- Some walking/hiking is involved; guests should not be mobility challenged, and basic swimming skills are necessary to snorkel.
- Group size – We require a minimum of 4 individuals to run the trip and we can accommodate up to 10 persons at a time.
- No one under the influence of alcohol or drugs is allowed on the tour.
- Depending on weather and wind conditions, the ride can be bumpy.
- Bring your camera.
- Bring your bathing suit under your clothes.
- Bring cash for services not included.
- Bring comfortable clothes and a light jacket. We recommend to bring an extra set of clothes.
- Bring towels.
- Bring hat or cap and sunglasses.
- We strongly recommend use of biodegradable sunscreen.